When I told my first art class teacher about Hockney's digital art, he gave me a disparaging look. Computers, in art? He seemed to have taken firmly against the idea. Grave blasphemy, probably. And I was only making conversation.

There's a video interview with David Hockney posted on Bryan Appleyard's. As soon as I saw it I just wanted one of those iPads. But by teatime, I realised all I wanted was to have a go.

Thanks to my blogging friend, Steve, for this link to OdoSketch. Like him, I had to make do with a blunt finger on the small touchpad. Steve says it was like working an Etch-A-Sketch; I felt like I was getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. However, looking over their featured gallery, it shows you can do some half decent doodles with a proper tablet and stylus attached. There isn't a black brush though, just a thin pen, the eraser's a bit all or nothing, and my screen kept freezing up. Well, you can't have everything, and it is free.





Click Aarghh!! for a full size animation, and here to see what I was aiming for.

No comments: